Darkky Minecraft Server Forum

Full Version: High Quality Chisel Recommendations?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can you guys recommend a brand for hi quality chisels? I've done "power tool" woodworking for a while, and want to get into joinery more. I would like to buy good chisels that are meant to last a lifetime. I could also buy older chisels on eBay.
I’m hoping the Ashley Iles will be my primary users- dovetails, paring, cleaning up shoulders and tenons and whatnot. They have a nice small side bevel so they’ll fit into tight corners well. They seem to be a very good value among the nicer segment of chisels. I considered the Lie-Nielsen socket bevel edge chisels, but the AI were more affordable and I wanted the O1 steel in the AI set over the L-N’s A2. Time will tell if it was the right choice, but I’m excited for their arrival. I'm in love on this site
Buy the cheapest ones you can find, harbor freight or wherever. Chances are it will be a 3 or 4 piece set and spend the entire rest of the budget on sharpening stuff, a water stone or diamond stone and a cheap guide. Once you get used to sharpening and using those chisels and buy a nicer set they will make a great set of glue scraping chisels.