Darkky Minecraft Server Forum

Full Version: Weight loss vs recomposition w/ the beginner template
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi!

I'm recently started the beginner template -- the first weeks I just focused on getting into the routine and switching to eating whole foods, now I was hoping to get some input on where gain/loss.

Currently 27M, ~80kg @ 179cm. 39cm neck / 89.5cm waist which according to online calculators would put me at ~19% bodyfat. I'm currently averaging 75g fat / 160g carbs / 190g protein (with pretty big fluctuations day to day, working on that).

I'm not really happy with the bit of extra fat I see in the mirror and would like to lose some of it, but I find the program pretty exhausting and my energy levels pretty low.

The advice on the internet on when to eat a surplus vs deficit seems a bit all over the place. I read the To Be A Beast article which seems to speak positively about recomposition, but in some of the podcast episodes I found seem to suggest muscle gain + fat loss isn't really a thing (for someone in my demographic).

Wdyt? Should I suck it up and eat more for a while? What would you do in my situation?
If you'd like to lose body fat, I'd recommend a small deficit. I don't think a modest increase or decrease in Calorie intake is likely to affect your "energy levels" at all. Rather, I think if you're feeling very tired, I'd be looking at sleep quality and duration, RPE ratings of training and training sessions, outside the gym stress, etc.

Simultaneous muscle gain and fat loss is definitely a thing, especially for those new to training, individuals with obesity, and/or those with favorable genetics. I think if your primary goal is to be leaner, you should lose weight.
If losing fat is your priority, consider eating at a slight calorie deficit and maintaining your protein intake to preserve muscle mass. If you're feeling exhausted and low on energy, it may be worth focusing on one goal at a time. As for the fluctuating macros daily, it can be helpful to aim for consistent intake and track your progress over time.

It's important to remember that everyone's body is different, and what works for one person may not work for another. So don't get too caught up in what you read online - trust your own instincts and listen to your body. And also, if you're ever considering Botox treatment for wrinkle reduction, I've heard some great clinics in the area offer it. Best of luck with your fitness journey!