• ¡Welcome to Square Theme!
  • This news are in header template.
  • Please ignore this message.
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ADVISING STUDENTS ABOUT STUDYING ABROAD
IAP values our partnerships with UW-Madison’s advising community. Our Advising Philosophy informs our advising interactions with your students specific to studying abroad and we always encourage your students to discuss their plans to study abroad with you. IAP programs should meet the academic, personal, and professional development goals and needs of your students’ and our partnership with you helps ensure each students’ success in meeting them. We encourage you to ask these Questions of Your Advisee (pdf) when talking with them about their goals for studying abroad. With over 200 programs available to students, identifying those that specifically meet the needs of your departments’ students should be possible!
PROGRAM SELECTION AND IDENTIFYING SPECIFIC PROGRAMS FOR YOUR DEPARTMENT
Your students have over 200 programs to explore when deciding on what program will best align with their academic, personal, and professional needs. These programs can include classroom learning, internships, research, fieldwork and service learning experiences. IAP advises students to select programs that fit into their academic goals and personal interests. Encourage your students to begin their exploration on IAP’s web site or come into the Study Abroad Resource Center (3rd Floor Red Gym) to speak with a Peer Advisor. IAP’s Peer Advisors are all returned study abroad participants who can help students narrow down their choices and understand the academic and non-academic components of the programs that interest them. Our professional advising staff can also meet with students to talk through program-specific details and application questions that go beyond peer advising. Learn more about the IAP advising process here.
Since we have so many program offerings, IAP is happy to work with you to help narrow down the choices of what programs will be the best fit for your students.
COLLABORATIONS WITH ADVISING COMMUNITY
IAP values our collaborations with the advising community and academic units in support of your students studying abroad. Some ways we can collaborate with you include,
  • Academic Unit meetings: We can meet with you and other key members of your academic unit to provide an overview of study abroad and host workshops or information sessions for your students and staff.

• Data: We can provide comprehensive participation data reports on students in your major and where they are choosing to study abroad and what they are studying.

• Major Advising Pages: We can work together to create a Major Advising Page for your students that will include information on best times for them to go abroad, which programs contain courses for their major, and highlight current IAP programs evaluated and chosen by you for your students.

• Online Advising Tools: We can work with you on the development of your online advising tools, such as a major advising checklist, to include information on study abroad.

• Workshops: We host Advisor Workshops on a variety of topics from how to address the issue of costs, common study abroad outcomes, multicultural issues in study abroad, maximizing language learning, and more!
If you have a specific workshop you would like for your department, please fill out the IAP presentation request form.

Thanks. Interesting article.
I am a third-year college student and I love programming. I'm interested in the study and do my programming assignment, but I'm a bad student. The volume of materials is crazy, I can't handle it, I feel like a dumbass and abandon the very idea of teaching. Before going to college, I thought I was smart, but here everything turned upside down. I don’t know what to do with it. I do not understand how this can even be?